The NBPD Animal Control Unit provides the following services to the Newport Beach community:
- Patrol the beaches, parks, and neighborhoods to enforce local, state, and federal laws.
- Respond to citizen complaints and inquiries.
- Transport injured animals to care facilities.
- Pick up stray and abandoned animals.
- Return stray animals to their owners when possible.
- Investigate and report any animal bites.
- Investigate and prepare cases for court.
- Conduct permit inspections for private and commercial animal establishments.
- Provide city-sponsored aid and mutual aid to other agencies.
- Aid police officers when an animal is involved.
- Provide wildlife management advice and coyote information to the public.